My mom had recently made a quinoa lasagna (recipe to come), and had some quinoa leftover, so this is what I came up with! This is a great dish to take for lunch or for a light end of summer dinner!
I’m sure you all know how healthy quinoa is – but here are some of its nutritional highlights. It is a complete protein – it provides all 9 essential amino acids. It has a high protein content for a pseudo-grain (it’s actually a seed). Quinoa is also a good source of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, and fiber. It is gluten free and cholesterol free. Sold yet? It’s also extremely versatile. You can make it into a savory entree or a sweet and hearty breakfast.
I love the flavors of cumin, lime, and cilantro combined with the creaminess of avocado and shrimp, so that’s what I did 🙂 You can customize it to whatever you have in your fridge/pantry. I think some red peppers would go well, sauteed eggplant and zucchini, or substitute tofu or chicken for the shrimp. Let me know what you come up with!
Cilantro Lime Quinoa with Shrimp
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 T lime juice
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder/dash of chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T olive oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 avocado, diced
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 lb shrimp
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Combine quinoa with water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed.
2. Whisk together lime juice, honey, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and olive oil to make the dressing.
3. Chop up cilantro, avocado and cherry tomatoes.
4. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add to pan and cook just until shrimp are pink. Add garlic in last 2 minutes of cooking. Set aside.
5. Combine shrimp, avocado, tomatoes and cilantro with quinoa and top with dressing. Serve warm or cold.